Renovating your home is never easy, especially if it’s the first time you are doing this. That’s why, in this particular article, we are going to give you some advice on what to do when planning to renovate your home. So, when you start to renovate your home, you have to follow some basic steps to ensure that the renovation is done properly:
1) First check the wiring and, if necessary, get it done by a professional. In most cases, homes & older buildings have very few electrical outlets, so this would be the perfect time to fix them. Therefore, our recommendation is to have the electrician install more outlets. If necessary, you should also contact a plumber and have the pipes changed.
2) If the walls are brick and you are looking to add suspended furniture, our advice for you is to mount plugs before painting.
3) If you smoke in the house, avoid white walls. You can try darker shades, like gray. Unlike shades of yellow or beige, or blue / green, on which tobacco is highly visible, gray is neutral enough to be ideal for kitchens where people smoke constantly.
4) When it comes to flooring, it must be chosen with a lot of care. You might want white, but it’s not always a good idea. It’s better if you choose a neutral color because if the floor is too dark or too light, you will see every speck of dust. Therefore, a “middle” solution would be preferred.
5) Find a top contractor. Unless you have a lot of free time and renovation expertise, it’s always a good idea to hire a contractor to take care of the job for you. There are a lot of companies in that field, so it isn’t so difficult to find a list with potential contractors. For example, if you live in the Calgary area, all you have to do is to make a simple online search and type in “renovation Calgary”. However, the trick is to narrow down the list by going to their website and checking if they have enough experience in the field, lists with past projects and all the licenses and permits they may need. Next, you can go on Houzz or other similar sites and see if a certain company has a good feedback score. Another useful tool you can use when looking for a great contractor is the Better Business Bureau Site, where you can find relevant information about a certain company, as well as feedback from past customers.