A custom built home is a one-of-a-kind home, designed for a specific client and for a particular location. The custom homebuilder may use plans created by an architect or by a professional home designer. Custom-built homes afford consumers the opportunity to control layout, lot size, and accessibility.
In most cases, custom homebuilders construct on land that is already owned. Some developers sell lots, sold specifically for the construction of a custom home. The process of buying land and then making it “build-ready” makes it easy to build a custom home since the builders can focus purely on the design of the home.
Custom home builders generally:
- Build on land already owned. Some custom builders also build on land they own which is known as a spec home – short for speculative.
- Build unique houses. A custom home is a site-specific home built from a unique set of plans for the wishes of a specific client. For this the services of an architect are used. Some custom builders may offer design/build services.
- Build single-family homes.
- Are generally small-volume builders
- Tend to build high-end or luxury homes
Make sure to contact a custom homebuilder to help you and your family out with the design, build, and everything else to do with a custom built home.